With the girlfriend on vacation and the sky dropping water fairly consistently, what is a guy to do on his weekend? That’s right, find something broken in the house and fix it. Hence we have a (deep announcer voice) WEEKEND PROJECT! For tonight’s project I chose to fix something that really was broken – and no, I didn’t break it just so I could fix it. In fact, I bought the house with this problem. You see, one of the previous owners of the house apparently thought he was a master electrician. I have found light switched wired to nothing and some very odd circuit layouts. Needless to say, he thought he would do some work to the over head light in the garage. When I bought the house, this is how the light looked. For reference, this is also how it looked earlier today.
I do some testing to find out if Mr. Master Electrician was attempting to wire this thing to a light switch or what. After some testing…nope. Constant power through the junction box and right into the outlet that is feeding the garage door opener.
Time for a trip to the
hardware home improvement store. Yay! I go. I buy stuff. It’s what capitalism tells me to do.
I return home to make this mess look better. I don’t want others that see my garage to think that I don’t care about unsightly electrical problems. I have a reputation to keep here in the neighborhood as the guy who just doesn’t care when his lawn gets really tall. There is only so much not caring I can do.
So, a few wire nuts later I am ready to place my cover. Cover fits. Excellent. Now for the screws……about those screws. While searching for those screws, I send a text to the girlfriend, “I lost my screws ” Her reply was, “In your head?” Thanks hun. Love you too.
Okay, I found the screws – the real ones – the jury is still out about the ones for my head.
I still need some light though. The garage door opener light doesn’t cut it for long periods of time and isn’t the most energy efficient 120w light bulb on the market.
Oh no! An excuse to hang the shop light that was on sale that I happened to purchase while at the store has arisen!
<Insert random unnecessary sawing and hammering noises>….and we add the zip tie. TADA!
Nice bright light in the garage that I can leave on while I work!
While not the perfect solution, it is a quick and easy solution to turn an unsightly electrical problem into something functional. The best part is that I have just under $30 in the whole project.
Well that concludes this weekend project. Stay tuned as I might find another one next weekend!